Ingredients for 4 people:
- 1 kg Black Eggplants
- 2 bottles of Sicilian Datterino Tomato Passata
- 250 gr Sicilian Fresh Mozzarella
- 100 gr Parmesan
- 1/2 golden onion
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil to taste
- 4 fresh basil leaves
- Salt up to taste
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (for frying aubergines)
- a handful of coarse salt (to purge the aubergines)
- Clean the black aubergines by removing the stalk
- Slice lengthwise to obtain slices about 5 mm thick
- Arrange the aubergine slices in a colander and sprinkle with a little coarse salt between the layers. At the end cover with a plate and place a weight on it so that the aubergines can lose the vegetation water. Wait an hour and rinse them under running water, then pat them with a cloth to dry them well
- Cut the mozzarella into cubes and put them to drain
- In the meantime, prepare the sauce: In a saucepan, pour a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and add the chopped onion, taking care not to let it burn when browning. Add the datterino tomato puree and season with salt. Cook to taste and add the hand-chopped basil leaves
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil and fry the aubergines. When you finish frying, put it back on paper towels
- On the bottom of a 20x20cm baking dish, arrange a few tablespoons of sauce and create the first layer with the aubergine slices. Continue adding the parmesan and mozzarella cubes evenly and finish with more sauce. Repeat the same procedure by arranging the aubergines in the opposite direction. Finish the last layer by pouring the remaining part of tomato, mozzarella and parmesan.
- Put in a preheated oven at 200 degrees for 20 minutes. At the end, let the parmigiana rest for ten minutes before serving.
Enjoy your meal!